Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Interview With Adah Sharma about 1920



Our first interview with Adah had left us with a distinct feeling that we were talking to someone who would be around in the industry for a long time. The success of 1920 seems to have proved our instincts right.
The film is shaping up to be a runaway success, with word of mouth publicity pulling youngsters to multiplexes in droves, often to see if they can calmly sit through a scene that totally spooked them the first time!



Adah Sharma in a still from '1920'
In a follow up email interview on Thursday, September 25, two weeks after the release of 1920, Adah Sharma answered our questions with a delightful mix of humility, wit and candor.
We were tempted to start the interview by first asking her if she had brushed of the horrible stains on her teeth in the film, but we dropped the idea lest the 'shaitan' in her gets provoked to come after us with a blood curdling hiss and throaty yell!

Into the end of its second week, '1920' continues to draw good attendance at multiplexes in the NCR. Have you been pinching yourself to make sure you are not dreaming?
Signing 1920 was a dream !!! Well a nightmare for those who watched it :) but a dream for me...a dream that I'm still living ... even if I have woken up… the after effects are still on... so yes it feels great that the audience are enjoying it.


Your performance has been generally well received by audiences. We believe you have a good screen presence and an expressive face. What is the feedback that you have been getting?
Excellent feedback... the emails and calls I am getting! People are repeating phrases from the film "tick tock tick tock" and "test test test test." Some people told me they haven't slept after watching the film. People have enjoyed the film which is most important…the film is entertaining, I guess that's why we have people who are going to watch it again and again.


When we asked Vikram Bhatt if Adah and Rajneesh Duggal are on their way to becoming stars, his cryptic response was, "They are already stars!" Any comments?
Vikram sir is a very intelligent man and he is saying nice things about Rajneesh and me, so i think we should go along with what he says…I have had complete belief in him since ‘1920’.

You are not a trained actress and the role you essayed wasn't based on experiences that you could relate to in real life. Did that limit your performance?
I am not a trained actress. I consciously did not train because I didn't want to act perfectly. I train in dance so when I dance it looks rehearsed. I didn't want my acting to looked rehearsed. I didn't want to laugh showing 7 teeth and cry technically and have a practiced angry reaction. But I was taught a lot on the job!
I played the role of a violent evil MAN!!!! Yes that was challenging because I am not a man, I am a woman, and I am not violent or hysterical…usually! I believe if an actor limits her acting abilities only to experiences in actual life there's not much to do. for example if I want to play the role of a rape victim, a nun, a carpenter, drug addict I should be able to play it with as much conviction as I would play a college girl. I have a very imaginative mind so no, it did not limit my performance.( Edward Scissorhands is one of my favorite films and when I watch Johnny Depp he's so convincing I believe he has scissors for hands)

Do you believe in the super natural?
Anything beyond the natural is supernatural for me... me being part of the film industry is supernatural.. being part of '1920' is supernatural.. shooting in -10 degrees is supernatural!! I guess '1920' being a hit has something to do with the supernatural as well. My entire life seems to be a supernatural experience...

0 comments: